I’ve been away for a while, and I wanted to pop in and share with you what I’ve been working on over the past few months. I’ve started new art and social change project entitled RACISM IS A SICKNESS, and I’m very excited by how it’s beginning to shape up.
It is borne out of a personal need of mine to do something to bring the community together to not only have have meaningful conversations about how racism has negatively affected all of us, but to share ideas and practical resources for how we can heal from the ravages of racism. I have grown increasingly anxious and frustrated as a result of the troubling race-related stories in the news, and I can only imagine how others are feeling at this time as well.
I believe we as human beings can find the will to redirect our energies on healing ourselves before it is too late. And, It’s clear that waiting for institutions to be accountable for their mistakes and lead the effort toward healing is a futile effort (I acknowledge that there are many exceptions).
RACISM IS A SICKNESS is comprised of the following elements:
1. A blog of the same name with links to racial justice resources in the community
2. Social media
3. A community feedback component at G-Town Radio
4. A series of photos taken of up to 25 subjects, which will be exhibited this fall
- Audio and video footage of subject interviews
6. Programs by community and artistic partners during the run of the exhibit, that wil focus on themes that emerged from the interviews and strategies and practical resources for healing.
Thank you for your continued support.